Bigger Than A Breadbox
The Electric Pressure Cooker presents...Bigger Than A Breadbox
Providing a platform for Akron's artists through Bigger Than a Breadbox, a quarterly vaudeville show of local talent that will travel to different neighborhoods.
In the early 20th century, Akron was a destination for touring vaudeville shows, which offered a variety of specialty acts for the masses at an affordable price. Wandering Aesthetics will adapt that format for the modern audience with Bigger Than a Breadbox, a quarterly vaudeville show that will travel to different Akron neighborhoods and offer high–quality performances curated from local talent.
Building on the success of Wandering Aesthetics' reoccurring Electric Pressure Cooker Cabaret, Bigger Than A Breadbox events will be vibrant evenings that celebrate artistic excellence, uniting audiences through affordable access to a revolving lineup of high quality performers.
Bigger Than A Breadbox will bring together neighborhood favorites with talent from other areas of the city, reflecting a diverse array of experiences and artistic fields. Each production will be seasoned with unique neighborhood flavor, steeped in local history and complimented by a community-focused pop-up art gallery. Vendors will also be allotted space. Acts will receive a stipend. One quarter each year will specifically focus on artists from the city’s refugee and immigrant community, showcasing the variety of cultures within Akron.
Leading up to every Bigger Than A Breadbox, Wandering Aesthetics will host meet-ups within each area to identify talent and create excitement within featured neighborhoods.
Help Us #RaiseTheDough For #AkronBreadbox
Bigger Than A Breadbox – one of Akron's #KnightArts Challenge Grant recipients – requires matching funds. Wandering Aesthetics must raise $37,500 over the next year and $75,000 over the next two years in order to receive the funds.
Over the past year, Akron Breadbox has worked to successfully raise over $37,000! Akron Breadbox is ONLY $300 shy of its Year One match criterion. Once these funds are raised, Akron Breadbox can focus on elevating its artistic quality, growing the company and creating the most impactful programming possible.
While we busy ourselves with writing matching grants, preparing fundraisers and meeting potential donors, please consider helping us #RaiseTheDough for #AkronBreadbox by making a donation today, (every penny counts).
In 2015, Wandering Aesthetics was awarded a two-year Knight Arts Challenge matching grant for Bigger Than a Breadbox. Building on the success of our open mic-style Electric Pressure Cooker Cabaret, Breadbox gathers Akron’s finest performers, provides coaching to further develop their talent and then features these acts in quarterly vaudeville-esque variety shows. Shows rotate throughout different neighborhoods in Akron, highlighting their unique histories– from the forgotten women of the canal era to the changing faces of North Hill.
To complete our remaining match for year one of Bigger Than a Breadbox, we are hosting a two-day online auction. The online auction site will be live for 48 hours beginning on April 14, 2017 at 12:00 pm and closing on April 16, 2017 at 12:00 pm.
To be a part of the fun, join www.akronbreadbox.com (will automatically redirect to the online auction website beginning early next week). There you can find more information, preview auction items, and, once live, place your bids. If online bidding is too exciting for an “evening on the couch”, you can also make a flat donation toward our goal. Anyone who donates or bids will receive online access to a specially curated selection of art that offers a “Taste of the Breadbox”. (Just another reason to stay home.) Please email email@example.com with any questions.
So: don’t be afraid to bid– and bid often. You don’t even have to take off your pajamas.
Benjamin Rexroad & Kyle Jozsa
Co-Founders, Wandering Aesthetics
Akron Breadbox Updates:
The path to $37,500 won't be easy...
- March 2016: Awarded Knight Arts Grant • Began Fundraising Campaign• Yoly Miller donates $500
- April 2016: Held First #EPCooker Following Grant Announcement
- May 2016: #EPCooker wins 2015 Zenith Award for "You Tell The Tourist" Your Attendance Is Mandatory Category • Raised $870 as part of #5x5 for Benjamin's Birthday • Global Ties Akron donates $100 following Wandering Aesthetics' 'Exploring The World Through Stories' Festival Performance • Raised $638 as part of #28on27 for Kyle's Birthday • Raised $441.37 at May's #EPCooker
- June 2016: Full Circle: Collected Works raised $614.92 • Theresa & Walt Minick donated $200 • The Akron Community Foundation awarded Wandering Aesthetics $5000 • Raised $109.02 at June's #EPCooker
- July 2016: Karen Wilkie Edwards of City Sprouts donated $100 • Raised $311.25 at July's #EPCooker
- August 2016: Made $150 toward #AkronBreadbox during Tails From The Witch's Cauldron • Programmed the #EPCooker Porch for HSNA's PorchRokr Music & Art Festival • Mark & Sandy Auburn donated $500 • GAR Foundation awarded Wandering Aesthetics $17,5000 • Raised $550 at August's #EPCooker
- September 2016: Wandering Aesthetics named as FINALIST in the second Akron #KnightArts Challenge • Brenda Knoop Whitmore donated $75 • Raised $258.61 at Motherhood
- October 2016: Performed and received recognition at the second Akron #KnightArts Challenge award ceremony • Began preparation for our springtime FUNdriaser
- November 2016: Connie Williams donated $150 • Raised $547 at November's #EPCooker
- December 2016: Preparation for the #AkronBreadbox fundraiser began • Nancy Brennan donated $100 • Rachel Grof donated $1000
- January 2017: Wandering Aesthetics was awarded $750 by Akron/Summit Convention & Visitors Bureau (ASCVB) as part of their 2017 Partnerships in Motion Destination Development Grant Program • Raised $372 at January's #EPCooker
- February 2017: Applied for GAR Foundation Grant
- March 2017: Raised $481 at March's #EPCooker
- April 2017: Launched Taste of the Breadbox • Raised $3,700 during Taste of the Breadbox • Awarded $2000 by Junior Leadership Akron as part of their Philanthropy Project
- May 2017:
Akron Breadbox Donors:
- Open Mic Level ($1 - $100): Amazing Suspense Productions • Bette Lou Higgins • Blaine Klein • Brian Reitz • Danielle Hupp • Frank & Kendra Jozsa • Greta Lagodmos • Jessica Montgomery • John Werner • Karen Guc • Katie Carver • LeRoy Green • Lisa Weiser • Molly Hartong • Paul & Sandy Parks • Samantha Dunn • Tracey Thomas • Wendy Duke
- Cabaret Level ($101 - $250): Brenda Whitmore • Brian Tritchler • Ellen Botnick • Global Ties Akron • Jeff Hamilton • The Laakso Family • Marjorie Carrino • Mark & Sandy Auburn • Nancy Brennan • Oddmall • Theresa & Walt Minick
- Full Fledged Performance Level ($251 +): Angela Miller • The Big Love Network • Ben & Brenda Rexroad • Connie Williams • The #EPCooker Community • The #EPCooker Team • Jennifer Calhoun • Mark & Sandy Auburn • Rachel Grof-Rice • Yoly Miller
Taste of the Breadbox Sponsors:
Akron Art Museum • Akron Children's Museum • Akron Coffee Roasters • Akron Civic Theatre • Akron Honey Company • Akron Zoo • Amy Mothersbaugh • Aqueduct Brewing • Brenda Cummins • Bricco Akron • Capital Business Resources, Inc • Chris Miller • Cleveland Clinic Akron General Lifestyles • Collide: Cuyahoga Falls • Connie Williams • Crafty Mart • Crave • Danielle Hupp • Down DOGMA • Eileen Matias • Every Blooming Thing Akron • FabWraps • Fairlawn School of Music • Hazel Tree Interiors • Jessica Lofthus • Jilly's Music Room • John R. Aylward Photography • Kate Kleski • Land of Make Believe • Mark Auburn & Sandy Korman Auburn • Nervous Dog Coffee Bar • Nici Romo • NORKA Beverage • Not Yo' Daddy's Mexican Hot Sauce • ParanaFit • RED SUN RISING • Rich Hoselton • Right Brain Design Group • Rooted Akron • Rubber City Clothing • ScanWorks (Deborah Glasgow Monaco) • Scott Sella & Kevin Pribble • Sharon Loch • smART Studio • Strickland Services (Kendra Strickland) • Studio Lilly Gallery • The American Toy Marble Museum & The Akron Gift Shop • The Nightlight • Thomas Jenney • Thomas Skala • Time Traveler Records (Scott & Tracey Thomas Shepard) • Totally Tangled Creations: By April Nicholson-Couch • Tyler Hodges • Wayne Kleski & Katherine Kleski • Yoga Summit